Sr Backend Java Engineer
New Iron is helping a client hire a Sr Backend Java Engineer to join a team of data scientists delivering industry-defining work to their clients.
This is a remote contract position for a customer based in New Jersey.
You are a hands-on, delivery oriented software engineer with the ability to break down problems and add incremental value to existing software production assets.
The ideal candidate will have significant development experience:
- Using Java to build microservices APIs for multi-tier applications
- Demonstrable experience using PHP / Laravel in order to understand existing applications
- Demonstrable experience in Test Drive Development
- Strong Object Oriented Analysis and Design skills
- Experience using design patterns to write maintainable code
This team values and prioritizes well designed, testable, extensible and maintainable code. You have a passion for well designed, maintainable code, and own the quality and outcomes of your work.
This is an opportunity to work at an amazing company to build microservices backend services to power interactive data analytics applications!
Responsibilities may include:
- Develop new backend service applications using Java
- Knowledge of PHP / Laravel frameworks is required to understand existing applications
- Implement the technical solutions for each project
- Provide technical approaches for client application based upon business needs
- Write clean, well designed code following industry best practices
- Collaborate with the QA team to approve test plans and assess test coverage
- 5+ years of experience using modern Java frameworks
- Expertise with PHP Laravel
- Strong object oriented analysis and design skills
- Strong SQL skills
- Demonstrable, practical experience using TDD
- Demonstrable, practical experience using Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) on a remote project
- Experience building microservices to deliver data-driven applications
- Experience designing, developing & testing scalable back-end systems
- Proficient understanding in responsive, fluid, and adaptive web designs
- Excellent communication, collaboration, time-management skills
- Agile; must be able to solve problems in a simple, neat and organized way
Nice to have:
- Expertise with MVC concepts
- Experience deploying and maintaining applications on AWS
- Experience with technologies like PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch
- Understanding of building analytical systems
This is a full-time, contract role based in New Jersey. Principals only. Recruiters please do not contact this job poster.